Have a wonderful day!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Let's talk about: Judging a Blog by Its Cover

We have already discussed judging a book by its cover but how about blogs. 
This is a prompt from Jenny @ New Books for New Bloggers. 

Do you feel how your blog looks affects whether people follow you or not? Do you sometimes decide not to follow blogs that don't look a certain way to you?

When I was designing my blog I tried to make it easy to read and not over crowded. I lack the designing skills to make it look amazing so I focused on content. Do I feel it affects whether people follow me? Probably, because it doesn't look as professional as other well established blogs.

Do I decide not to follow blogs because of how they look? There has been a few blogs that I could not follow because of their disorganized design. For the most part, content is what I focus on when deciding to follow a blog. I usually read a few posts to see if it is a blog I want to keep up with and see if we have similar taste in books. Just like a cover of a book the design of a blog does affect the followers. I believe that a blog should be organized and designed to make reading easy and enjoyable. I usually do not follow blogs that are all over the place and cause my eyes to bleed as I try to decipher what they wrote. I know I probably shouldn't but I usually make the assumption that a clean, organized blog is created by a person that puts more time and care into it. I understand that people have different opinions about what is organized and clean but I can't help it. It just happens. I also have a problem with blogs with sounds in the background. Don't get me wrong, it's their blog and I understand if they want their favorite song playing in the background but to me it is distracting.

How about you, do you judge a blog by its cover?

3 comments:

  1. Erika~ That's a good question! Yes, I definitely judge a blog by it's cover-- unlike a book, I find that how a blog looks-- how it's designed, how well you can read the text, etc-- is a pretty accurate indicator of how the content is going to be. If the presentation sucks, usually the content isn't very good either. Now, that doesn't mean that a "plain" blog won't have amazing content and reviews. I guess I am more drawn to fancy blogs like Parajunkee's because of their awesome designs, but they still have to be easy to read and navigate.

    As long as the blogger took the time to make their site look nice and organized, and they are interested in the same kinds of books as me, I will follow them.

    Whew! That was a long response haha. Thanks for the great discussion question!

    ~Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,

    I came across from New Books For New Bloggers to see what your answer to this prompt had been. It sounds like we're quite similar in our views. I also think that a blog should be easy to navigate and read and not too distracting.

    Nice to meet you!

    Shelagh
    The Word Fiend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika~ That's a good question! Yes, I definitely judge a blog by it's cover-- unlike a book, I find that how a blog looks-- how it's designed, how well you can read the text, etc-- is a pretty accurate indicator of how the content is going to be. If the presentation sucks, usually the content isn't very good either. Now, that doesn't mean that a "plain" blog won't have amazing content and reviews. I guess I am more drawn to fancy blogs like Parajunkee's because of their awesome designs, but they still have to be easy to read and navigate.

    As long as the blogger took the time to make their site look nice and organized, and they are interested in the same kinds of books as me, I will follow them.

    Whew! That was a long response haha. Thanks for the great discussion question!

    ~Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...