Have a wonderful day!

Monday, May 23, 2011

{Review}: The Cellar by A.J Whitten

The CellarTitle: The Cellar
Author: A. J Whitten
Genre: YA Fiction/Horror/Zombies
Publisher: Graphia (May, 2011)
Paperback: 288 pages
ISBN:9780547232539
Source: Netgalley
Available on: Amazon | Barnes&Noble

My Rating: 4/5

Description from GoodReads:
Meredith Willis is suspicious of Adrien, the new guy next door. When she dares to sneak a look into the windows of his house, she sees something in the cellar that makes her believe that Adrien might be more than just a creep—he may be an actual monster.
But her sister, Heather, doesn’t share Meredith’s repulsion. Heather believes Adrien is the only guy who really understands her. In fact, she may be falling in love with him. When Adrien and Heather are cast as the leads in the school production of Romeo and Juliet, to Heather, it feels like fate. To Meredith, it feels like a bad omen. But if she tries to tear the couple apart, she could end up in the last place she’d ever want to be: the cellar. Can Meredith convince her sister that she’s dating the living dead before it’s too late for both of them?

My Review:
Let me begin by saying that I love Romeo and Juliet and I am scared to death of Zombies. So, did this combination work for me? Yes, it did. Sure I was scared or repulsed for most of the story but I really enjoyed it.

The Cellar had a very interesting take on Zombies. They are not your typical walking aimlessly grunting living dead. In this book they are intelligent and powerful undead creatures that retain their insatiable hunger for human flesh. These zombies also have interesting pets such as hyenas, ravens, flies and let's not forget the men eating fish.  For most of the story I was scared for Meridith and what Adrien would do to her but at the same time I couldn't hate the guy. Did Adrien make it to my list of book crushes? NO! He was just plain creepy to me. I just don't understand how Heather can date a guy and want to marry him without ever looking at his eyes.

Would I recommend this book? Definitely! I recommend this book to those who love Zombies and want a YA/Romanticized version of them. You can expect flesh eating and torturing scenes along with the romance of a teenager and a zombie. This might not work for some readers but it worked for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erika, following you back! :) The Cellar has caught my eye before-- zombies and Romeo and Juliet are, as you say, a killer combination. Can't wait to read your review of Lily of the Nile-- I really loved that one. Anyway, I hope you have a good week.

    Kat @ A Myriad of Books

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...