Have a wonderful day!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

{Review}: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)

Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Genre: YA Fiction/Dystopian
Publisher: Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers (Oct, 2009)
Hardcover: 379 pages
ISBN: 9780385737944
Source: Library
Available on: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | TheBookDepository

My Rating: 4.5/5

Description from GoodReads:
Imagine waking up one day in total darkness, unsure of where you are and unable to remember anything about yourself except your first name. You're in a bizarre place devoid of adults called the Glade. The Glade is an enclosed structure with a jail, a graveyard, a slaughterhouse, living quarters, and gardens. And no way out. Outside the Glade is the Maze, and every day some of the kids -- the Runners -- venture into the labyrinth, trying to map the ever-changing pattern of walls in an attempt to find an exit from this hellish place. So far, no one has figured it out. And not all of the Runners return from their daily exertions, victims of the maniacal Grievers, part animal, part mechanical killing machines.
Thomas is the newest arrival to the Glade in this Truman-meets-Lord of the Flies tale. A motley crew of half a dozen kids is all he has to guide him in this strange world. As soon as he arrives, unusual things begin to happen, and the others grow suspicious of him. Though the Maze seems somehow familiar to Thomas, he's unable to make sense of the place, despite his extraordinary abilities as a Runner. What is this place, and does Thomas hold the key to finding a way out?
My Review
I cannot imagine waking up and not having my memories. The Maze Runner is an amazing book. I enjoyed solving the mystery along with Thomas and the rest of the boys. The made up language was a little hard to understand at first but after a few chapters I grew used to it. The adventure is the best part, it keeps you turning pages all the way to the last page. It definitely reminded me of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because in both of these books children are put in a place where they have to fight to survive.

I would have liked for Thomas to be more of a hero and less of an extra addition to the maze. I'll keep my review short because I don't want to give away parts of the story. I recommend this book to anyone that wants to solve a mystery and enjoy reading dystopian novels.

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite eager to read this book. Of course I don't have a copy yet so I suspect it'll be a while before I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I liked this one but it's hard to write about it without giving anything away. :) I think I liked Thomas a little better in the second one. I can't wait to see how the series ends up.

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...