Have a wonderful day!

Monday, July 11, 2011

{Review}: Beastly by Alex Flinn


Beastly
Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Genre: Fairy Tale/YA Fiction
Publisher: HarperTeen (Oct,2007)
Hardcover: 304 pages
ISBN: 9780060874162
Source: Library
Available on: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | TheBookDepository

My Rating: 5/5

Description from GoodReads:
I am a beast.
A beast!
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.
My Review:
Before you read this review let me inform you that I am 100% biased because I absolutely love Beauty and the Beast and everything to do with it. So, by this being a retelling of that story I was sure to love it. Let me just tell you what I liked and you be the judge as to whether it is something you might enjoy.

The story is told from the Beast's perspective. We get to see how he was before he became a beast. I also liked the setting of New York City and how the characters and the story line were changed to match the present setting. It was as believable as you can get in a fairy tale.

I also liked beast's friends, what can I say, I just love fairy tales. There were also a few references to great books and movies which made it more enjoyable for me. Even though I already had a basic idea of what was going to happen it was still a joy to read. It had nice changes and additions that made this a fresh take on Beauty and the Beast.

I could not help but picture Alex Pettyfer as Kyle Kingsbury because of the movie preview I saw before reading the book. The combination of Alex's looks and the romantic personality described in the book resulted in me falling in love with the beast once again. Who wouldn't love a guy that reads books that he knows you are reading just so he can talk to you about them?

I won't say more because it might ruin the story. If you like Beauty and the Beast then this is a must read.

I have not watched the movie and I am looking forward to it. Has anyone seen it and read the book? What were your thoughts on the movie?

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh - I love Beauty and the Beast so it looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. I also enjoy retellings of fairytales with a modern twist, so this looks like a double winner. Great review!

    Shelagh
    The Word Fiend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much! They changed a lot of things for the movie though. I didn't enjoy it as much as the book. Although I enjoyed seeing Alex Pettyfer on screen. Yeah, that was the best part. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! I loved Beastly! I just did a book-to-movie review...you can check it out here

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I can see I won't be too disappointed if I watch the movie. I will definitely try to get it this weekend. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I can see I won't be too disappointed if I watch the movie. I will definitely try to get it this weekend. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a Beauty and the Beast fan. Team Ariel all the way! But I did really enjoy this book. I have seen the movie and I really like Neil Patrick Harris. They changed many many things but I liked some of the changes and can understand why they did what they did.

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...