Have a wonderful day!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

{Review}: Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Title: Across The Universe
Tagline: What does it take to survive aboard a spaceship fueled by lies?
Author: Beth Revis
Genre: YA Fiction
Publisher: Razorbill (Jan 2011)
ISBN: 9781595143976
Source: Bought on Amazon
Available on: Amazon
Rating: 4/5


Description on GoodReads:
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Review:


This is the first Sci-fi book I read. Verdict? I really enjoyed it.

This book captured my interest from the first pages. The way the author describes the experience of being frozen alive was scary. I remember pulling my blanket and shivering at the idea. Amy is an extremely brave girl, I cannot imagine volunteering to be frozen after I seeing how horrible and painful it is.

The dual narrative was great in this book. I like knowing what the characters are thinking and it was especially nice to read about the same event from two perspectives. I was able to see Godspeed and its inhabitants as an outsider and also as their future leader. This allowed for me to care about the people but also see their dark side. There was a scene that I almost put the book down because I was literally scared and disgusted but it showed how inhuman people can become.

The story kept me interested and eager to discover Godspeed's secrets. I admit, I wanted Amy to finally notice how awesome Elder is but the story also kept me reading. I love when books shock me, and this one has a few twists that left me reading with my mouth open in shock.

I like knowing why characters behave the way the do and what leads them to become who they are. So I was a little disappointed that the reasons behind Eldest and some other character's actions where not explained.  Hopefully, more will be explained in the next installment of the series.

I will definitely take another journey aboard Godspeed, a spaceship full of secrets, hope, and love.



8 comments:

  1. I am waiting on this one arriving in the post! :)

    I am glad you enjoyed it.

    Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog!

    I haven't read this one yet, but I've heard tons of good things about it. That's nice that there was dual narrative, because I always enjoy reading books with different perspectives. Can't wait to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *new follower* great blog!
    I just started reviewing books on my blog and would be glad if you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have read a few pages of this, (it was posted online for a few hours the day it released by the author), but I didn't really get into it from waht I read. Maybe I should try again? I'm so glad you liked it!
    Your blog is so adorable! I found you on New Books for New Bloggers, so I wanted to welcome you to the community, but you seem to be doing just fine! :) Either way, I hope you are enjoying your blog! New follower here!
    XO, Al @ Magnet4Books

    http://magnet4books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much about this book and can't wait to finally get it soon! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much about this book and can't wait to finally get it soon! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just found your blog!

    I haven't read this one yet, but I've heard tons of good things about it. That's nice that there was dual narrative, because I always enjoy reading books with different perspectives. Can't wait to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...