Have a wonderful day!

Monday, November 7, 2011

{Review}: ARC Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore


Between the Sea and Sky

Title: Between the Sea and Sky
Author: Jaclyn Dolamore Website | Twitter
Genre: Fantasy/YA Fiction
Publisher: 
Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Hardcover:  240 pages
ISBN: 
9781599904344
Source: Good Choice Reading Book Tour
Available on: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | TheBookDepository

Description from GoodReads:

For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.


My Review:
Mermaids are slowly becoming my favorite paranormal creature. Jaclyn Dolamore does a great job at creating a magical world where not only do mermaids exist but so does a race of winged people and they interact with humans on a daily basis. I would have liked to see more of the winged people's traditions like we see with the mer-people. 


Between the Sea and Sky takes us on a journey to find Dosinia (Esmerine's sister), and discover if the love Esmerine and Alandare share is strong enough to keep them together. 


Esmerine is a strong determined girl that will go through a lot including physical pain ( it hurts her to walk on land) to assure that her sister is well. She is also in a constant struggle with what she feels like doing and what she should do. She wants to be on land and read and be with Alandare but at the same time she loves the sea and cannot imagine not being able to go back. It made me feel a bit sad because I could not imagine how they would be able to be together.


I absolutely loved the idea that Esmerine and Alandare's love for books brings them together. I like that Jaclyn made them childhood friends because the story does not allow them to really get to each other but it makes sense if they already did and are just rekindle-ling that friendship and turning it into love. 


An entertaining and different take on a mermaid fairy tale. The ending was not much of surprise. You can see how it is going to end but that does not deter it from being quite enjoyable. 


Recommended for those who enjoy fairy tales. 









4 comments:

  1. Oh, envy! I so can't wait to read this one.
    I didn't know the bit about books, but I love that!

    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the fact that Esemerine was so eager to find her sister - her love towards her family warmed my heart, but I didn't get into the love story really unfortunately. :/ Great review though! I'm glad you enjoyed it!


    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen a whole lot of mermaid books until more recently. I love your review and I'm even more intrigued to read this one!

    www.magicalurbanfantasyreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty cover. So nice to see a sweet loving book ♥

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...