Have a wonderful day!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

{Review} Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Genre: YA Fiction
Publisher: HarperTeen (Jan 2011)
Hardcover: 435pg
ISBN: 9780061996160
Source: Purchased from Amazon
Available on: Amazon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description on GoodReads:

"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has apurpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart."

Review:

I admit that the reason I grabbed this book was the amazing cover. I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I have done some of my best book discoveries this way. Then when I read that it was about angels I just had to buy it. What can I say, I love my fallen angels and this book delivered.

Let, me begin by telling you what I liked about this book.

  • The girl is the angel not the guy 
    • I love Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick and Fallen by Lauren Kate but enjoyed the girl being the heavenly creature and she being the one that takes him flying
  • Clara's friend Wendy is wonderful, the gift she gives Clara for her birthday is amazing :)
  • The relationship she develops with her love interest (I won't tell you who it is so that you can enjoy) is a healthy relationship
    • She get's to know him, goes on dates, and become friends before she realizes that she is in love
      • I am tired of books where the characters fall in love at first sight and then 70 pages later are willing to sacrifice the world for them without getting to know them.
    • She is a 17 yrs old, and acts like it. She doesn't want to spend an eternity with the first guy she meets. She has the right to change her mind.
  • The last 100 pages or so are amazing, I could not put the book down. 
    • I was holding my breath for some of it, I couldn't believe what was happening
  • Cynthia Hand has an interesting view on angels and their world and writes a book that takes you in 

Now for what I didn't like:

  • The character of Angela
    • I understand that she needed a friend that understood her angelic side but I don't see how she contributed to the story. Maybe, she will be more important in the next book.
  • Apparently everyone and their neighbors are angels
    • I liked the twists in the story but it just seemed a little strange how they are everywhere and humans don't know of their existence. Even when they fly during the day.
  • The character of Christian was a little flat for my taste.
    • We don't really know much about him other than he wants to study business and likes to ski and then the reason of why he is standing in the forest while there's a forest fire. Hopefully, the next book tells us more about him since he is a main character.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. If you are like me and want another angel YA novel to fall in love with then pick this one up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, great :) I recently won this book and I can't wait to read it! I've heard so many wonderful things and I'm glad you liked it. It should be interesting reading about a female angel as the MC - I don't believe I've read any of those yet. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...