Have a wonderful day!

Monday, August 29, 2011

{Review}: Chime by Franny Billingsley

Chime
Title: Chime
Author: Franny Billingsley
Genre: YA Fiction/Fantasy
Publisher: Dial (March, 2011)
Hardcover: 361 pages
ISBN: 9780803735521
Source: Borrowed from Library
Available on: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | TheBookDepository

My Rating: 3/5

Description from GoodReads:
Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.
Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.
My Review:
I had a little bit of hard time getting into this story at first. I believe that it may have been because of the slow pace at the beginning. The writing is wonderful but for some reason I could just not get into the story until the action picked up.

What I liked:
The characters. I liked Eldric, Briony and her sister Rose. Briony was a interesting and different main character. She was intelligent and I loved the way Franny Billingsley showed  her inner dialog. Eldric's witty comments and Rose's innocence made me love them as well.

The writing. Chime to me was more about the characters than the actions they take. I love the way it was written. I re-read a few paragraphs just for the pure enjoyment of it.

The love story. Briony is so preoccupied with blaming herself for all the trouble around her that she almost misses out on love. I liked Chime was not another instant love example. I just love being part of the falling in love process. I think the characters have to do something for the other to fall in love not just because of their mysterious eyes.

The ending. I love happily ever afters.

What I didn't like:
The slow beginning. I struggled and this may cause many people to not finish this cute book.

The predictable plot. I got a little impatient because I just wanted them to stop making things worst and realize what was going on.

Overall: I recommend this book to anyone that likes reading character/language driven novels.




2 comments:

  1. Great review! I just read Billingsley's "The Folk Keeper" and it was so cute, really wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. ReflectionsofabookaholicAugust 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM

    I'm not sure about this one. Your review gave me a lot to think about. I like the cover though.

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...