Have a wonderful day!

Monday, September 27, 2010

{Review:} Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water for Elephants
Title: Water for Elephants
Author: Sara Gruen
Genre: Literature & Fiction
Publisher: Algonquin (April 2006)
Hardcover: 331
ISBN: 9781565125605
Source: Library
Available on: Amazon

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Description on GoodReads:
"I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent." Dr. Seuss
Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its own way of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell. 
Jacob was there because his luck had run out - orphaned and penniless, he had no direction until he landed on this locomotive 'ship of fools'. It was the early part of the Great Depression, and everyone in this third-rate circus was lucky to have any job at all. Marlena, the star of the equestrian act, was there because she fell in love with the wrong man, a handsome circus boss with a wide mean streak. And Rosie the elephant was there because she was the great gray hope, the new act that was going to be the salvation of the circus; the only problem was, Rosie didn't have an act - in fact, she couldn't even follow instructions. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and ultimately, it was their only hope for survival. 
Review:

I decided to read this book because every time I go to a book store I always see its colorful cover. I was a little hesitant at first but I was soon swept up by Jacob's fascinating life story. I began reading expecting the book to be boring and dull and this may be the reason why I enjoyed this book so much.

I loved the narration. This book actually made me laugh at times. It took me on a roller coaster of emotions. I would have liked the story more if it had revealed more about Marlena's character. I did not fully understand why Jacob fell in love with her. Was it because she loved animals or because she looked beautiful in colorful dresses? I don't know.

I also loved how the quote from the beginning ties up the story beautifully. Rosie, the elephant, was indeed faithful.
---
I just learned that it is going to be a movie released on April of next year. I cannot wait to go see it. I believe Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon will play the parts of young Jacob and Marlena. We will just have to wait and see.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this book. I thought the story was absolutely incredible. Rosie was just the best character :) Anyway, lovely review on such a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete

I always read comments and love hearing about what you think. Hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...